Wednesday 2 December 2015

Fanweb Scandinavia on the Radio!

Hi all!

We received the request of Paul Stoutenberg to talk about RanestRane.


And so we did! Unfortunately the interview is in Dutch but I made a translation for you all in English!


You can hear the interview here








Hi Lilian

Hi Paul

So nice to have you on the phone from Sweden to tell us about RanestRane

Well thank you for the invite! With all love I will do this for you

You are a great fan of RanestRane and also close to the band right?

Yes, that’s correct, it all started during the Marillion Weekend last year in Port Zealand. After this convention I made the first contact and tried to turn the band into the spotlights. That did work! Which is very nice and there is a lot of love in this work, which led to a true friendship which I appreciate.
I really like to speak with you about the band.

RanestRane is formed since 1998 right?

Correct.

You mentioned that the band are getting more attention, is this due the fact of the co-working together with Marillion?

Yes, on the album Monolith (where will will talk about later) they have Steven Rothery and Steven Hogarth as guest appearance. Also Rothery is the man who promote the band as wel me thinks as he took the boys with him during his solo tour. He is currently still busy with that as he will play as support for RanestRane in Italy tomorrow and the day after where they will promote the new album H.A.L and they also will play some Marillion songs.

But it’s not only Rothery but also Hogarth which helped the band with this project. He also sang in a few songs or actually spoke some lines in a few songs. But many Marillion fans will recognize this of course immediately. It’s respect for each other from both sides I think.

You said that they will play in Rome tomorrow?

Yes that’s correct! 

That will be the start of their tour through Europe where they will even stop for a gig in the Netherlands right?

Yes, they will be in Uden on the 6th of December at venue the Pul where they will present their Album HAL and they will play some other songs as well. But which songs… that’s a surprise.

So you do not know which songs will be played?

Hahaha no, I don’t know. I haven’t got the privilege to know that hahaha.

Well that is one reason more to join the gig in Uden on the 6th of December!

Absolutely!!

I mentioned before that the music really is impressive. I do believe that it will be even more impressive when you will see the band live isn’t it?

Well from my experience, I’ve seen them live last year 2014 in Copenhagen during the Rothery solo tour, I didn’t knew RanestRane, never heard of them either, but anyway, I was sitting at the first row and I was blown away by their talent. I didn’t understand a single word due the fact they sing in Italian, but the music really got their hooks in me.
4 talented guys were creating amazing music, and I was sold!

So I think that this might be the ’thing’ for most people when you hear and see them live on stage. You will be convinced by their emotion, their way of playing and so the rest doesn’t matter anymore. Their music is full of energy, emotion and passion.

Well I’m getting very curious and will go to the gig in Uden on the 6th od December that for sure. The first song I played was from the first album Nosferatu. From which year is this album? 

Ehh let’s think, this album was released in 2007 and is based on the movie of Werner Herzog Nosferatu perhaps better known for the older people with the name Dracula.

I am one of them…

hahahah

If you will see and hear this live, is there also a screen where you will see the movie or not?

Well if RanestRane has the possibility to show the movie on screen, which is possible 9 of 10 times, they will do that. The movie will be shown on the background, so they can show you their story better. The music and emotions will be heard. The music will lead you through the movie and the movie will lead you through the music. 

There will be not so many people being familiar with the movie Nosferatu but the movie The Shining will be more known. And that is the second album right?

Yes, the movie with Jack Nicholson as main actor, where he plays a person which is getting psychological pressure. And I think this album is also psychedelic actually.

I will play the song Incubo of the album the Shining. Which scene of the movie do I need to think of?

Incubo…. let’s think…. I think Incubo shows the part in the movie where Jack get’s the first psychological problems….yeah I think so….

Alright! I will play this song now, and will get back to you after this song.

INCUBO…..

We have played the second song of 4 now which is called Incubo from the album The Shining.
If I’m right, this is also an album which contains 2 cd’s right?

Yes that’s correct

If you put these albums next to each other, do you hear any development?

Yes, my opinion says that there is development. Yesterday I had a little chat with Riccardo Romano the keyboard player, Nosferatu was released in 2007. It took 3 years to write this album. Riccardo told me that they were very young at that time, they were ’searching’ and in full development. The songs were shorter, but they learned a lot about the writing.
They had the same project with the Shining, I think this is really their ’kind of thing’, producing a kind of soundtrack to a movie in their own style. They tried to make the songs a bit longer, but the problem is that you are bound on the different scenes in a movie. You can’t write a song of 10 minutes in a scene which only takes 5 minutes. In that time perhaps something completely also is going on…. 
But the boys are telling that they see development through all those years. I agree, I think you can hear it as wel as it’s more progressive and more empathy. The Shining is one of my favorite albums.

But the boys of Marillion were not involved by these first 2 albums right?

No, this was RanestRane’s project and goal I think. If we take Daniele Pomo, he loves books and stories and movies. He is the one who is addicted to these kind of things.
Marillion came later in the spotlights, but that is an another story.

I spoke with you before and you mentioned the name of the drummer Daniele Pomo, he is also the singer of the band right?

Yes

But that’s difficult I think?

Yes, he told somewhere that he is from beginning a drummer and actually he didn’t want to sing, because it didn’t felt natural to him. Though, after much practicing and learning the best technical parts in drumming and combine this with singing made it different for him. He made improvements in music and he could put his emotions in music by singing which gives him a good feeling and makes him happy.

I have seen Marillion several times and well if we see Steve Hogarth, he is an eye catcher. I mean the music of RanestRane is fantastic but to watch RanestRane, might that be not a little bit static?

Well I agree for a small part I think. I think that RanestRane might need to think about their set up on stage, because this ’problem’ or if you want to call it problem, people are wondering who is singing. That’s not weird of course as Daniele is most of the time hiding behind his drumkit and cymbals but I think that the set up on stage might do difference when people can see him. Also I hope that Daniele might come in front of the stage as there are some songs on the new album without any drums. So people might see the singer of the band :-)

Well the boys are growing and are getting a bit more famous of course, I can imagine they think: We will see what is happening..

Exactly, they received so many positive reactions after the Marillion Weekend 2015 of fans and new fans and of Marillion as well! I understood that at the moment the boys were on stage, they thought that Marillion was preparing their selves for the concert that evening, that was not the fact… Marillion was watching RanestRane from backstage and they told the boys that they never had seen so many people applauding for a support act as that evening!
And so the boys received a boost to believe in their project, and to keep on going! And that’s of course very pleasant to hear!

Yes, I can imagine that! I want to go further to the third album A Space Odyssey, I believe it’s a part of trilogy? 

Yes correct! It’s an album based on the movie A Space Odyssey.

Well David Bowie based his song also on that album right?

Ehh I think so hahahaha I’m not very updated regarding David Bowie background hahahaha
But I know that Roger Waters of Pink Floyd uses a scene of this movie in one of his songs

Okay!

Hahah That’s what I know, but Bowie? No idea!

But anyway, the will split this movie in 3 parts, and the first album is also called A Space Odyssey right or ,no, wait it’s called Monolith. When was this album released?

This album was released in november 2013. And on the studio version you will hear English spoken parts and also the voice of Steven Hogarth and the guitar solo of Steven Rothery.

Materna Luna is the one which I will play soon.

Yes that the one with Rothery, And they also have a live version which contains Italian spoken parts.

Okay, and do you hear again differences between this album and the others? Because Marillion is involved in this album.

Marillion is involved as support, it’s a completely different album, an another genre, not that romantic as Nosferatu, not that psychodelic as The Shining but more space! More keyboard sounds. I think Monolith and also H.A.L are Riccardo albums.

I want to listen!

Me too!

Alright, I will play Materna Luna with Steven Rotary as support!

MATERNA LUNA

So and that was Materna Luna with the fantastic guitar player Steven Rothery of Marillion

I mentioned that the album is released already in Japan but not for the rest of the world. Are the boys of RanestRane that popular in Japan?

Well to make a long story short…
They played in 2013 on the Italian Prog Rock Festival where they played together with l Rovescio della Medaglia which is an Italian Prog rock band. They played together with an orchestra the album Contaminazione, hopefully I say it right, which was released in 1973. This was at the festival in Tokyo. There is also a fan which has her own website like me. So yeah they are popular there as well.

Very Special!

Well Progrock lives also in Japan! No matter which language!

Yes, as we speak about the language, it’s not an easy language to understand. Has the band never thought about to write in English?

No they haven’t! Point 1: English is not their mother language, they don’t speak this language for perfect 100% either, therefore they cannot express theirselves either. They cannot give 100% as they want to, when they need to write in English.
They are saying: We are RanestRane, we are from Italy, and we want to show our emotions in our own language! And I agree with that completely!
I mean, take the Marillion Weekend as example. 3 days of music, more than 50 different countries, I’m 100% sure that some of them doesn’t speak or understands English but love Marillion anyway….

Yes, but I’m sure that there are more people speaking English than Italian…

Yes that’s true, but it’s the music which needs to get the hooks in you!!

Yes sure, absolutely!

And that’s their goal! And I completely respect that! If RanestRane will write in English, they will not be RanestRane anymore… they will not have the possibility to put their emotions in the music which they normally do…..


The Album H.A.L is not released yet worldwide besides Japan, but with the support of RanestRane and you we have the possibility to hear 2 songs!

Yes indeed!

Do you know only these 2 songs or the complete album?

I know the whole album

So you are the ones besides Japan who knows?
Can you give a tiny impression?

Yes, it’s called H.A.L, named after the computer in the movie. It’s a romantic album, it’s warmer, less conversations and singing, but it gets YOU!
The first time of listening, I got tears in my eyes, how can they do this…
I was not the only one, the boys also had their tears during writing the album. So much emotion, so much passion… they are playing all their own role which you can hear clearly.

Definitely the best album of RanestRane!

I think you made RanestRane fans curious and also other listeners. I can imagine that people want to see RR live.

Well it’s my advice to do so! Let’s get surprised in Uden!

You will not be there…

No, but in fact I would love to meet Dutch fans perhaps in Copenhagen where I will be on the 4th of December!
It’s even the release date of H.A.L. Time for party!

You will be there?

Yes! Together with the promoter in Denmark, we managed to get the boys to Scandinavia! And as a big plus: The release date of H.A.L!!

Well I want to wish you much fun on the 4th of December, thank you for your chat about RanestRane! 

Thank you!

We will now listen to the song Computer Malware. It’s the premiere!



No comments:

Post a Comment